The palazzi of Corso Venezia… Each one represents a different architectural period making this a truly majestic road which appears to go on forever. Indeed, it used to be one of the main “straight” roads that led northeast out of town, towards Monza and beyond.
First important palazzo is Casa Fontana-Silvestri – built in the late 15th century this is one of the few remaining Renaissance palazzi left in Milan. Constructed by Angelo Fontana, some specialists state that it was Bramante who decorated the facade.
Then there is another important palazzo, that of the Seminario Arcivescovile, built in 1565 by Seregni for (Saint) Carlo Borromeo.
Next up is the Palazzo Serbelloni, built in 1793 by Simone Cantoni, in a Neoclassic style, this is one of the most prestigious examples of Milanese aristocratic abodes and in fact is where all the rich and famous would stay while in Milan – Napoleon in 1796, and Vittorio Emanuele II in 1859.
Not to be missed is Palazzo Castilgioni, most incredible with all the body sculptures all over it. It was built by Giuseppe Sommaruga in 1904 in the stile liberty as it is called. There used to be two female nude sculptures which were subsequently removed, and so the Palazzo got to be known as Ca’ di Ciapp (House of Buttocks).
Be sure to keep an eye out for Palazzo Rocca-Saporiti – done in Napoleonic architectural style and built in 1812 by Giovanni Perego. On the facade is frieze with Milanese History and on balustrade are statues of 12 Roman gods (the Dei Consenti).
When you’re next in Milan, be sure to talk a walk down Corso Venezia. Milanese grandeur and history, writ in stone.