The Trevi Fountain: Poli’s Riento

September 1, 2008 / Art & Archaeology
Rome

Il rientro (literally, re-entry) is the Italian mass counter-exodus back to the cities after the August summer break. So you can imagine the Poli’s family rientro in the 1730s, to find that Pope Clement had built a new fountain onto the side of their palazzo! The gall . . how dare he?!


Or so the story goes . . Ok, so maybe the Trevi fountain wasn’t built in a summer, but Poli did return to Rome to Clement’s well laid plans to move the small fountain already there (a Bernini) in order to free up the space (on his wall!) for a grander project.

And so it was. Alessandro Galilei, a Florentine, actually won the design competition but the Romans would have none of it, so local Nicola Salvi was awarded the commission instead. Work began in 1732 with Poli still fighting. Thirty years later, the magnificent water display was finished, the Pope’s family crest adorning Poli’s facade, and the waters rushing to the delight of all (except Poli) who to this day look upon the Trevi fountain.

Wonderful images by Françoise Mouton: A professional photographer who loves taking photos of Rome, (and is a great business photographer as well). www.rmstudioroma.it

GB

by GB Bernardini

Editor, Italian Notebook

Leave a Reply