Although Villa Taranto is impressive in April, when 40,000 tulips are in bloom, it is at the end of the season that the gardens really burst. The dahlias have grown tall, so tall that on the curving, narrow path that winds through the dahlia maze of 350 different varieties they tower over heads, and one must look up at the sky to see the tallest of them. In the terraced gardens, the bronze statue called The Fisher by Neapolitan artist Vincenzo Gemito looks out over brightly colored beds and carpets of grass.
It was in 1931 that a Scotsman, Captain Neil McEacharn, purchased the property with the dream of transforming it into an English garden to remind him of his homeland. He named the place Villa Taranto, a nod to an ancestor of his upon whom Napoleon had conferred the Dukedom of Taranto. To ensure that the work would continue after him, the Captain gifted his home and gardens to the Italian state; since 1952 the public has had access to the gardens that have ended up, after his years of designing work, to be a representation of an English garden, but with a softer, brighter Italian garden feel to them as well.